Monday, April 18, 2011

Dear Rob Bell....

I've read your articles and I've watched your videos. I've thought about it for awhile. I don't want to answer in an angry fashion or be one of those "close-minded" Christians in a "what I believe is it and you so dumb" attitude. but let's talk about a couple things that truly stick out to me.

First, the statement was made by you that many people who "preach the Bible" don't have parking issues. But you do! So thus implying that you must be doing something right? Because I would actually agree with you, believe it or not. However, what is "right" in this case only pertains to how you can draw a large number of people by telling them what they want to hear. And you state that fact yourself. People don't want to hear about judgment and damnation. Who does? So Honestly, does your success mean you are preaching truth? hmm...

And second, you say this book, this theology and this thinking of yours is not a product of bitterness. And for a minute I wanted to believe you. I really did. Many people try and discredit Christianity but their bitterness finds them out only to discredit themselves. You however did a great job by refuting it right away. But then I had to go and read the little story of your father and grandfather. You know, the one where you dad was not allowed to grieve the death of his father because it was supposed to be a celebration. You went on to say how this event stuck with you and is the foundation of reason for this book you wrote. All my hopes and dreams of this book being written out of pure unadulterated reasons were smashed to the ground.

Come on now Rob Bell. Give me some honest reason to see it your way. Maybe I should just shut up and read your book...but don't be offeneded if I buy it used so you don't get any money from it.

Sincerely,
Herman

No comments:

Post a Comment