Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Well here we are...

In reading a blog written by a fellow blogger, it amazes me how much we regress in ourselves and in our integrety as Christians by trying not to be a "cookie cutter Christian." The blog was pertaining to the fact that, as Christians, we don't need to look happy all the time...which I am all for! I don't disagree with what was said one bit. However I do feel like we tred on a very thin line when we start making those statements to others trying to be Christians.

We start with an innocent statement such as, 'as Christians we don't need to be happy all the time," and go on to make other statements such as, "as a Christian I don't always need to pray...or go to church...or read the Bible." And granted, to go to heaven, we don't NEED to go to church...but that in itself is even more of a thin line. It starts with making true statements and leads to a line of destructive compromises that ultimately bring us to a place of not showing any fruit of a Christian at all. The only way people know that we are then Christian, if you are so then bold to call yourself that, is if we tell them which is no good testimony for God or an example of what Christ does in believers.

'Jesus Needs New PR' is a blog, that at first I was all for. It made sense. He showed how crazy Christians make Christianity out to be. But after awhile, I realized...He should not be Jesus' PR! Compromise brings liberalism and liberalism brings a whole new breed of false prophets who are leading the majority of Christians astray.

But I guess, who am I to talk...I'm not perfect either.

4 comments:

  1. Your first paragraph is completely contradictory, unless I just read it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...see, I fully agree with my friend's blog. My only point was to state the fact that we, as Christians, need to be careful when we start to change the way we look at being Christians. It's easy to go too far and start making compromises. The fact of not always having to be happy as Christians is true..at least that's what I believe. However I don't believe it's right to be a Christian and not pray or read the Bible.

    Make sense? I hope so. If not, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I don't really think it's related to my blog.
    My point was that some people have unrealistic expectations of how Christians should behave. To act cheerful all the time (even during the most terrible circumstances) is dishonesty, which is not Christ-like at all.

    I think I get what you mean, but I was more talking about putting up a facade to try to live up to a standard that no one can reach. I think there's a big difference between that and slacking on necessary parts of our relationship with Christ (like prayer & reading the Word).
    I don't think being honest about your struggles can lead to compromising. I think it's important to make a distinction between necessary Christian behavior and unrealistic standards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, no. The only thing my blog had to do with yours is that it made me think of mine by a few lines you wrote. Yeah, I understand what you were writing about...and again, i agree. i was stating a different topic that came up while reading yours.

    That's all.

    And I agree that it is necessary to make a distinction between Christian behavior and unrealistic standards...I guess my point was that many people forget to make that distinction.

    Again, that's all.

    ReplyDelete